"The Sanctuary" Queralbs Things to Do Tip by Belsaita
Queralbs Things to Do: 4 reviews and 5 photos
The present church was inaugurated in 1911. Later, new hostel buildings were also built and, in 1931, the cog railway was opened, making easier to reach the place.
Núria was also involved in several different political events that shook the country.
After the 2nd Republic was proclaimed (1931), the Catalan Parliament decided that the preliminary draft of the Statute of Autonomy would be drawn up at the Núria sanctuary. After the Statutes were approved by the municipal governments, and the favourable results of the poll among Catalan people (there was a 75% turnout and 99% voted in favour), finally the Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia was passed by the Spanish parliament. Therefore, the Statute of 1932 is also known as the "Statute of Núria"
But sooner the Civil War dramatically changed our history. Three days after the war start, Monseñor Ventura Carrera, the priest in charge of the church at the time, took the image of the Virgin and other valuable objects and left the country via the Finestrelles' pass. Just a few days later, militiamen arrived at Núria with the intention of destroying the church and religious images. The image was hidden in Switzerland until 1941.
In 1937 the Generalitat de Catalunya took charge of the sanctuary and it was converted into a hospital for the war wounded. Later, the Francoist armies set up a military school in the mountain. During many post-war years, pilgrims had to get permission to visit Núria (due the political implications of the place, and since it was located near the border).
In 1941, the image of the Virgin of Núria was returned to the sanctuary. In 1956, Pope Pius XII proclaimed her as the main patron saint of the Urgell diocese. In 1965 Pope Paul VI authorised the canonic coronation of the image of the Virgin of Núria.
More Things to Do in Queralbs (3)
More Reviews (3)
Belsaita's Related Pages
Explore the World
Have you been to Queralbs?Share Your Travels