"Bar Harbor" Maine Things to Do Tip by Florida999

Bar Harbor Downtown

Bar Harbor Downtown
      Bar Harbor
    by Florida999
      Walking to island at low tide ( from Bar Harbor)
  • Bar Harbor - Maine

Bar Harbor is a nice little tourist town right next to Acadia National Park with lots of arts and crafts stores, restaurants, souvenir shops and cute houses.
At low tide, if you go down Bridge street, just up a little way from the boat docks, you can walk across the ocean floor to an island. We did, so did a larger number of others, including people driving their cars over there ( see photo) . If you do that, be careful not to walk in the muck, you get stuck in it, if you are wearing flip flops. It's deeper than it looks in some places.
My son of course added a stuffed lobster to his collection of stuffed animals from our trips, now sitting next to the stuffed Nessie from Loch Ness in the living room.
We did not go to any of the restaurants, they seemed kind of expensive, and many of them did not have things I like ( there was a lot of French food, and other European stuff I don't care for, plus all the seafood) but we did have some very good ice cream at this place with large plastic lobsters up front.
Some of the yachts at the boat docks were just incredible! I love sailboats especially.

Directions: Major town on Mount Desert Island in Maine

• Updated Aug 3, 2007

Comments

Florida999 Visits Here Frequently!

Have you been to Maine?