"Bielefeld" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Off The Beaten Path Tip by MichaelFalk1969
Germany Off The Beaten Path: 471 reviews and 722 photos
Bielefeld is not exactly popular with tourists, nevertheless I decided to include it in my travel guide. It is not so bad after all, though it is sometimes used as a synonym for a totally dull and boring city. It will never become a major tourist destination in my lifetime, but even a dull city can have its good sides!
If you go there, look for
- the Crüwell House (one of the few remaining renaissance buildings, due to WW2 bombings)
- the Old Town Hall (not so old after all, built 1904)
- Sparrenburg Castle (on a hill within the city limits - good view on the city)
- Kunsthalle (art museum) - some interesting temporary exhibitions
- the "Bauernhaus-Museum", an Open Air museum with old farm buildings and a windmill
- the small zoo in Olderdissen.
Apart from that, Bielefeld is
- rather close to the region "Ostwestfalen-Lippe" and the cities of Bückeburg (great renaissance palace), Rinteln, Stadthagen and Havixbeck (nice Old Town).
- to the the Arminius monument (dedicated to a Germanic tribal leader who battled the Romans, built in the 19th century),
- to another impressive patrotic monument (Kaiser Wilhelm-Denkmal) in the city of Porta Westfalica
- to the geological monument "Externsteine" and the surrounding National Reserve with good hiking possibilities.
The most remarkable thing about Bielefeld seems to be the so-called "Bielefeld Conspiracy". There are people that claim that this city doesn`t exist for real. The reason is unclear to me, but there is an explanation that is because Bielefeld is barely recognizable from Google Earth.
More Off The Beaten Path in Germany (74)
More Reviews (135)
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels