"Dawdling an afternoon on San Pietro" Top 5 Page for this destination Castello District - Sestiere Castello Tip by Trekki
Castello District - Sestiere Castello, Venice: 36 reviews and 123 photos
After having visited Chiesa San Pietro I didn’t want to go back to the city centre immediately but was in relaxed mood, so I sat on a bench and watched the world around me. The space in front of the church is large, shady with many trees and benches. Just around the corner of the church was a house, maybe a place where nuns lived or a parish house (that’s what Bing/Google maps say) and the ladies were busy walking between church and the house. Couples were sitting in the grass, reading, talking, and enjoying the day. I found this atmosphere here very very relaxing. Given the small size of the island there are not many restaurants or bars, albeit since some time there is a small bar offering caffè, Spritz and snacks. And it is also well worth walking around between the local’s houses, there are some very nice photogenic spots such as this relief at a house wall showing the patriarch presenting a fish to Baby Jesus. Of course lovers of maritime atmosphere will also enjoy this island because it is still a fishermen’s island and the guys are sitting at the docks reparing nets or boats.
Vaporetto stop: San Pietro di Castello (lines 4.1./4.2. and 5.1./5.2.)
Venice vaporetto map
Venice vaporetto schedule
Location of (1) bridge to Isola San Pietro, (2) Chiesa San Pietro, (3) Isola San Pietro on Bing Maps.
© Ingrid D., June 2015 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).
More Things to Do in Venice (40)
More Reviews (78)
- See All Accessible Venice
- See All Brunetti family’s home (book and TV...
- Guess what ....the most popular sport is...
- See All Water ways are illuminated at night
- See All Danger for Venezia, and our pocket
- See All Farmers’ markets everywhere
- You will only need your essentials
- See All The biggest tourist trap in Venezia…...
- Take a vaporetto along Canal Grande ...
- See All Good and reasonable food options at...
- See All Appartment Margharita – on my own in...
Been to Venice?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels