"A glimpse inside ? entry is otherwise forbidden" Top 5 Page for this destination Arsenale Tip by Trekki

Arsenale, Venice: 24 reviews and 58 photos

The entrance portal of Arsenale at the so-called ?ingresso di terra? and the ?ingresso di mare? is to its left, where in the past ships sailed out and away on their missions.

Today there is a bridge so that we can safely cross the canal to the other side. As of now this is still the only way to get a glimpse of the interior because public entry into the Arsenale is forbidden so far. When I was in Venice in May 2007 this was maybe the hardest part for me. I love any kind of old industrial sites and given what I have read about the incredible efficiency of the ship builders in Venice I craved and am still craving to see more of the inside. The two guard towers left and right of the entrance portal are beautiful, especially the one with this wonderful clock, very photogenic! The water entrance was protected during the ship building period, with a thick chain.

But .. as I wrote already in a previous review: maybe the time has come that at least parts of Arsenale will be accessible for the public, apart from during the times of Biennale. There is an interesting 17 minute YouTube video of this visit shows fascinating interior details of this so grand ship building past of Venice. They mention that plans are there to make it accessible for visitors.
So I do not give up hope!!

Brig a zoom lens!!

Vaporetto stop: Arsenale (almost all lines stop here):
Venice vaporetto map
Venice vaporetto schedule

Location of (1) Arsenale?s western walls, (2) Arsenale, (3) Arsenale?s entrance portal. (4) the bridge in front of the large area of Arsenale, (5) Museo Storico Navale, (6) Backstreet Castello and the fish scale on Bing Maps.

Ingrid D., July 2007 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.). Update June 2015: wording.

• Updated Jun 25, 2015

Comments

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Venice?