"Iao Valley" Maui Things to Do Tip by Dabs

Maui Things to Do: 486 reviews and 992 photos

Iao Valley
      Iao Valley
    by Dabs

The clouds just wouldn't go away from the Iao Valley and we almost skipped the drive to see the Iao Needle but I'm glad we didn't as the clouds did not cover the Iao Needle at all and it was interesting to see yet another one of Maui's diverse environments.

Heading west past the town of Wailuku, you enter into a rainforest, the temperature starts to drop, it seems like it's permanently covered in clouds and there's a high level of rainfall here, one of the signs at the park warned of flash floods.

You can drive right up to the Iao Needle, a phallic rock 2,250 feet above sea level, you barely need to get out of your car to see it. But do get out of your car and at least walk across the bridge to see the river and the lushness of the area and perhaps a few locals going for a dip. Both Kris and I remarked that we felt like we had landed in Jurassic Park, fortunately no velociraptors came to eviscerate us!

You can also walk up the 133 stairs to the viewing platform for a better look at the Iao Needle, when I asked folks coming down if it was worth the climb they enthusiastically replied "oh yes!", then they saw my cast and amended it to "well it's not THAT good".

• Updated Aug 1, 2007

Comments

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Maui?