Quan Ju De (Peking Duck): "No Quacks here: Peking Roasted Duck" Quan Ju De (Peking Duck) Tip by xuessium

Quan Ju De (Peking Duck), Beijing: 62 reviews and 74 photos

by xuessium

There was a "death certificate" issued with my duck. I was eating the 11906715th duck since the restaurant started roasting them since 1864. This is swanky place and my T-shirt and shashuku looked pretty much out of place but the Cheong Sum-clad waitresses hardly raised an eyebrow. (I wish I could get away with this next time I visit a swanky French restaurant without riling up some French vulgarities)

By any means, this is a very expensive duck. At 198 RMB for a full Peking Roasted Duck meal, it's astronomical price for most Beijing folks. But it was the eve of my BD, and I'm not letting any 198RMB get in my way.

You can see the kitchen oven pits roasting the ducks from behind a glass and cooks hard at work, ensuring that you and me get the ducks in prime conditions. When it's cooled down enough, a chef will then roll the duck out on a trolley and carved the duck up in your presence as you looked on, working hardest to suppress your drool. A waitress will then proceed to explain the ingredients as well as demonstrate how you may eat the duck in the traditional way. Mine was serious on the get go. She hardly broke into smile. I guess when you have been doing this from the upteenth time, it really sucked the thrill out of it. I just wish she smiled a little. We weren't having dinner in prison.

Favorite Dish: The essence of the duck is all in the crispy delightful skin. All the flavours are there. Waste not. It's sinful to be wasting something so succulent. Bite into one crispy sliver and you'll know what the food of the Gods taste like.

The chef will take great pains to carve the thinnest of skin for you. Worry not. The rest are not wasted. The meat will be used in stir-fried dishes. The bones were thrown into a pot, cooked with wintermelon slices and brewed into a milky soup, that simply coats your tongue with playful tenderness.

How do you eat the duck?
Take a piece of crepe skin (you have a choice of yellow with egg or white without egg) and lay it on your plate. Spread a little of sweet and salty roast duck sauce with a spoon on the crepe, sprinkle in some shreds of spring onion, then place a sliver or 2 of duck skin. You may then add a slice of duck meat, plus a few other items such as pickled chillies or raw garlic slices, ensuring that the items will not overflow (don't be greedy!) and then proceed to wrap the entire package up (without using your hands - that's rude!!) like a burrito and presto, your little package of heaven is ready to be popped into your mouth.

I don't know how many I ate but I was damn sure there wasn't any duck left on my table when me and my mate were through with it!

Address: No.14 building, Qianmenxidajie Xuanwu District
Price Comparison: most expensive
Directions: There are a number of branches throughout Beijing. I had mine at the Hepingmen branch (address above).
Phone: 010-63023062
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.quanjude.com.cn/firstPage/loginFirst.do

• Updated Jul 28, 2007

Have you been to Beijing?