"Send yourself a postcard" Vatican City Things to Do Tip by SJTravel

Vatican City Things to Do: 800 reviews and 1,514 photos

The Vatican is its own country, so they have their own postal service. So, if you are going to Rome, you might as well stop off in Vatican City and send yourself a postcard. There were 2 places that I saw where you can buy Vatican City stamps, one was in the Vatican Museum towards the exit. The other was in St. Peter's Square right along the side of the exit for St. Peter's Basillica. You can buy postcards there to send or you can bring your own to send. If you take the subway to St. Peter's and get off at Ottaviano, as you are walking closer to St. Peter's there is a little shop (I don't remember the name) that sells cheap postcards. I bought one of the Pope for I think 20 cents. They have a ton of other souvenirs there as well. Inside the Vatican post office, there is plenty of table space for you to write on your postcard/s. Then when you get home, you will have a neat little souvenir waiting for you in the mail. I didn't think that this would be as popular as it was, but a lot of people seem to do this. I saw more tourists in the Vatican City post office than I did in all the post offices that I had been to in Italy. Also, I heard that it is cheaper and more reliable for you to send stuff from the Vatican City, if you are planning on sending bulk luggage or souvenirs home instead of taking them with you in your luggage. A friend of mine said he sent stuff home to himself in Australia and it got there sooner than the postcards and letter he sent from Italy (weeks sooner).

• Written Jul 26, 2007

Comments

SJTravel

“Its not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life....-Train”

Have you been to Vatican City?