Schwartz's: "Do you like Salted Cured Meats?" Schwartz's Tip by brewjohnson

Schwartz's, Montreal: 29 reviews and 38 photos

I was very excited about sampling the world famous smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz's. In the early 90s I heard Jim Rome raving about it and have wanted to visit Montreal ever since to give it a try. It didn't matter that I had no idea what smoked meat was, I yearned for it. When I read the Schwartz's reviews on VT and discovered smoked meat was a cousin to pastrami, I was even more enamored. After all, I've been a long-time believer that pastrami is the finest of the salted, cured meats. I was not disappointed. Big chunks of salty meat, smoked over charcoals on rye bread... delicious. This really is one of those places that has become a legend for a reason. I'm not sure if its the ever-present line out the door, the surly, yet friendly (is that possible) waiters, the furniture that hasn't changed in decades, or what... but this place delivered for me. Visiting Montreal without at least trying Schwartz's is like splitting tens... you just don't do it.

Favorite Dish: Smoked meat sandwich with a side of coleslaw. Ad coleslaw to the sandwich and you'll be in heaven!

Address: 3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard, Montreal, Quebec
Rating: 5
Theme: Deli
Website: http://www.schwartzsdeli.com

• Updated Jul 26, 2007

Comments

brewjohnson Visits Here Frequently!

brewjohnson

“Who's up for a living spree?”

Have you been to Montreal?