"The Venice Biennale" Top 5 Page for this destination Biennale di Venezia Tip by suvanki

Biennale di Venezia, Venice: 6 reviews and 11 photos

Tracey Emins work Great Britain Pavillion Biennale

Tracey Emins work Great Britain Pavillion Biennale
      Parrots on shell island Biennale Venice

CASTELLO

Every 2 years, Venice holds the equivalant of the Oscars for the Contempory Arts world. This prestigious event is held from June to November, and along with works of art from around the world, thousands throng to view, including many celebrities, who are seen at the opening parties etc.

To be honest I'm a bit in the dark when it comes to 'Art' - I look at a picture and either like it or I don't - I don't understand the 'hidden meanings' or what a piece is trying to represent.

The first piece that I saw was a free exhibit from Hong Kong, I was alerted to a noise of birds coming from behind a wall - I entered a yard, and found a group of brightly coloured artificial parrots displayed on a pile of oyster shells. A spray of mist was being pumped out, along with mechanical 'parrot voices' Apparently this was representing Hong Kong and I think the return to Chinese rule - though I could be wrong - I need to find my notes!

I knew Tracey Emin was representing Great Britain - I'd seen articles in the Sunday mags and the in- flight magazine - so decided this was a chance to see the controversial ladies work.

Before entering the gateway to the exhibition in the Gardens, I noticed some life size models of swimmers near the restaurant - I was Quite impressed by these - they were very lifelike - even having real hair and eyebrows.

Hot footing it to the Great Britain Pavillion - which I'd read that Ms Emin had stripped out and redecorated, before she felt comfortable enough to exhibit her work, I walked up the steps in anticipation of something exciting - Hmmmm - Sorry - I didn't get this!
Neither did I 'get' the room of suitcases with dead birds/nooses and astronauts, or most of the exhibits.
There were some pieces that I did find quite interesting or amusing - I also found it amusing watching others reactions.
I didn't have the time (or inclination really) to see the exhibits in the Arsenale - but if I return before November - my tickets still valid

Website: http://www.labiennale.org/en/

• Updated Mar 17, 2008

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Venice?