"Great view of the city" Cairo Citadel - Salah El Din Al Ayouby Citadel Tip by mindcrime

view from Citadel
by mindcrime

Salah Al-Din's Citadel constructed in 1183 A. D. to dominate Cairo from the Mokattam Hills. Its on a top of a hill in Islamic Cairo and surrounded by walls. I walked there one sunny morning through Islamic Cairo and I almost faded because of the heat. After some bottles of water I recovered and I enjoyed the sights inside the Citadel.

Some important monuments here are:
-the Mosque of Soleyman Pasha, it was built in 1528 in the northern enclosure of the Citadel. I didn?t see any decorative fašade like elsewhere in Cairo probably because of its military heritage (Suleyman was the governor of the Jenissaries corps)
-the Alabaster Mosque, officially the mosque of Muhammad Ali is one of the most popular among tourists because of its size and location. So I got surprised when I learned that it was built just in the beginning of 19th century with nothing really important about it! From a distance it looked impressive but I god disappointed when I visited it but I liked the Josephs? Well.

There is a terrace overlooking Islamic Cairo and on a clear day you will have some great views of the city!

the entrance fee for the citadel is 5 euros

Address: South-East Cairo
Directions: All the taxi drivers know the place so don't worry :)
Phone: +20 2 25121735
Website: http://www.touregypt.net

• Updated Apr 20, 2009

“WORLD is a book. Don't read just one page!”

Have you been to Cairo?