"Enchanted camp Fosca and Marziale" Top 5 Page for this destination Canareggio area Tip by Trekki
Canareggio area, Venice: 30 reviews and 108 photos
South of Campo dei Mori, at the western end of Strada Nova, are two campi with interesting churches and a serene atmosphere.
Campo and chiesa San Marziale (marziale = martial) are in a very enchanted little area with a much laid back atmosphere. Cats doze off in front of the houses in the sunshine; almost no noise is in the air (photo 3). Some houses have lovely reliefs embedded in the walls (photo 4; this was at the end of Fondamenta Moro). I especially liked the water well with the partly overgrowing grass (photo 1). The nearby church of San Marziale was closed when I walked past it. Sadly because it must be beautiful inside, given the website Churches of Venice which has a short section about artwork in San Marziale. Another Tintoretto is here. Sebastiano Ricci, Italian Baroque painter, has painted a marvellous vault here. I found it interesting to read about his other work: he also has painted an Assumption for Karlskirche/St. Charles?s Church in Vienna.
Opening hours of San Marziale: Mon ? Sat: 4 p.m. ? 6:30 p.m.
Two bridges to the southwest, at the western end of Strada Nova, is campo and chiesa Santa Fosca (not to be confused with Santa Fosca on Torcello!). It was also closed when I walked past but again the website Churches in Venice has a section with photos of Chiesa Santa Fosca. On the campo is a statue of an important Venetian hero: Paolo Scarpi, priest of Servite Order, humanist and friend of Tiziano (17th century). He was the driving force for independence of Venezia from the church in Rome and the pope.
(3) Campo dei Mori, (6) Campo Santa Fosca, (7) Campo San Marziale on Bing Maps.
© Ingrid D., July 2007 (So please do not copy my text without my permission.). Update June 2015: completely revised wording.
Address: Canaregio - in the middle
More Things to Do in Venice (40)
More Reviews (78)
- See All Accessible Venice
- See All Brunetti family?s home (book and TV...
- Guess what ....the most popular sport is...
- See All Water ways are illuminated at night
- See All Danger for Venezia, and our pocket
- See All Farmers? markets everywhere
- You will only need your essentials
- See All The biggest tourist trap in Venezia?...
- Take a vaporetto along Canal Grande ...
- See All Good and reasonable food options at...
- See All Appartment Margharita ? on my own in...
Been to Venice?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels