"The Louvre in Paris" France Things to Do Tip by Carmanah

France Things to Do: 1,479 reviews and 1,983 photos

The most famous painting awaits you at the Louvre!
by Carmanah

The most famous of all Paris museums is the Louvre. One could even argue it's the most famous museum in the world! Containing the most extraordinary amount of ancient artifacts, artistic masterpieces and historical findings, I doubt I have to say anything that's already been said about it before.

Our class spent a few hours in the Louvre during our final day in Paris. It obviously requires more time, but we were on a strict schedule and had to make do with the time that we had. We were grateful to have a French-speaking tour guide lead us around the museum. He showed us many of the essentially pieces. However, most of us weren't that familiar with the art and sculptures as, say, an art history student would, so while we appreciated that we were surrounded by some of the world's most exquisite pieces of art, I think we got a bit restless by the end of it!

The most famous of all paintings n the world is Leonardo da Vinci's "Mona Lisa", and the Louvre is where it currently resides. When I saw it, it was displayed in a fortied fashion, behind a large panel of glass. I remember some of us were discussing whether it was the real Mona Lisa, or whether it was a fake one. We were spreading rumours that the real Mona Lisa's located in a barely-lit vault behind a foot of glass. Whether it was real or not, it was in the Louvre, and I managed to take a picture... without a flash, of course!

Of course, looking back on it now, I really wish I could revisit the Louvre again. Having completed a minor in Art History, I'm much more familiar with the context of a lot of the art at the museum. I'd probably have a much more enjoyable time there.

Address: Musée du Louvre, 75058 Paris Cedex 01
Directions: Take the Métro to the Palais Royal-Musée du Louvre stop.
othercontact: Fax (33) 01 40 20 54 52