"Basilique du Sacré-Coeur in Montmartre, Paris" France Things to Do Tip by Carmanah

France Things to Do: 1,479 reviews and 1,983 photos

Walking up the stairs to Sacré-Coeur at dusk
      Walking up the stairs to Sacré-Coeur at dusk
      The view over Paris from Sacré-Coeur at dusk
    by Carmanah

For centuries many people have travelled to the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur as a Catholic pilgrimmage. I suppose you could say I did my own pilgrammage, albeit, for very, very different reasons! Along with my classmates and teachers, we visited Montmartre's beautiful Basilique du Sacré-Coeur during our last night in Paris. While the teachers had their own intentions for us to visit, I had my own interests in mind!

You see, when I was 14 years old, I was at the height of my U2 obsession. It almost cheapens it to call it an obsession, but I was young, impressionable, and U2 opened my eyes to a world of music I had never experienced before. U2 had released Zooropa the year before in 1993 and Achtung Baby a few years before that, and frankly, it was all I was listening to. I became so hyped about U2 that I would tape every one of their music videos that would play on TV, including many of their older videos from the 80's.

One of those U2 videos was "Two Hearts Beat As One" - an older song from their 1983 War album. The entire video takes place around Montmartre, specifically from the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur. So, because of that, I was absolutely ecstatic about being there!

While I don't know if the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur is a must-see while in Paris, it is definitely a beautiful and famous architectural landmark. Sacré-Coeur is also historically significant because it's where the Society of Jesuits was founded. Finally, the panoramic views of Paris from Sacré-Coeur are definitely worth seeing on a clear day.

Address: 35, Rue du Chevalier-de-la-Barre, 75018 Paris
Directions: Located at the top of the hill in Montmartre, Paris.
Phone: +33 1 53 41 89 00