"Best time to travel and how long" Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Favorite Tip by Trekki

Venice General: 810 reviews and 1,137 photos

Favorite thing: Maybe the most difficult question is "how long should I need to visit Venice" and also when to come.
I for myself have decided to come for 12 days and at the end found that it was not enough. But then I am someone who loves to wander around and discover the lesser known sights and also to get a feeling about a place.
Certainly I am not a fan of "doing Venice in 1 day", but I understand that often holiday/vacation time is restricted hence the wish to pack as much as possible into a visit.

My own preferences aside, I still think that 2 days is the minimum of time to spend in town, especially with an overnight stay in town and not on the mainland. Venice at night, when the majority of visitors has left, has a special charming atmosphere. It helps to "understand" the city and also helps to understand the specific needs for a life (and income) on a city built on water.

If you can, try and avoid weekends or Sundays. Especially if you have only one or two days. Sundays are devoted to the family. Many restaurants will not be open, and the remaining restaurants might well be the touristy ones with maybe lesser quality food.

There is no real season for Venezia. This means any time of the year the city has its special and individual fascination. Ok, I only know this is from hearsay, but I plan to come back in early December because this was described as the most atmospheric time (and I like atmospheric times :-)

Summer, especially the months July and August, will be hot and mosquitoes look for food (= our blood). In summer, also a lot of restaurants and hotels are likely closed because July and August are the prime months for holiday/vacation in Italy. March to May might be a good time, when flowers and trees start blooming. However, some European countries have school holidays in May, so it will likely be more crowded (it was in May 2007). Autumn, like end September and October should be a good time as well, especially because of the local delicacies in food and wine.

Your personal preferred time to travel to Venice is of course also depending on if you like to be surrounded by masses of other visitors. Even though I considered Venice in May (2007) as already packed with us visitors, the days around Venezia?s famous festivals must be even more packed (and consequently more expensive in terms of accommodation and food). Seriously, I often thought that maybe one of the islands might collapse with so many additional people walking around. Bridges can collapse when too many love locks have been fixed there, so ....

I think the most popular festivals for locals and us visitors are definitely Carneval and Regatta Storica. These are the last 10 days before Shrove Tuesday and the first Sunday of September.

Other local festivals:
Festa di San Marco (April 25): gondola competition between St Elena and Punta della Dogana;
La Sensa (Sun. after Ascension Day): symbolic marriage of Venezia with the sea;
Volalonga (Sun after La Sensa): rowing from San Marco to Burano and back;
Biennale (every 2 years, June to October): biggest worldwide exhibition of modern art;
Festa del Redentore (3rd Sun. In July): on the occasion of salvation from pestilence 1576; a bridge of boats is laid from Dorsoduro to La Giudecca;

These days should also be considered when planning a visit to Venice.

Ingrid D., July 2007 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.). Update June 2015: wording.

• Updated Jun 16, 2015

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Venice?