"Cruising the Nile with Travco" Egypt Things to Do Tip by Tijavi

Egypt Things to Do: 1,687 reviews and 2,532 photos

My cabin at Crown Jubilee
by Tijavi

Travco is one of the major tour and cruise operators in Egypt and have some of the most luxurious ships. As I was traveling solo, I paid a bit more at US$ 160/night. In addition to the tastefully done and clean cabins, cost includes transportation, guide, tickets to monuments and all buffet meals (ex-drinks).

What I like
1) Cabins are clean and tastefully done-puts some 5-star rooms to shame. I took Travco's Crown Jubilee, which was one of their more luxuriously-appointed vessels.
2) Crew are friendly and helpful, except for one baksheesh-hungry staff who wanted to extort after helping me with my baggage. Please see note on giving tips below on why I didn't give him a single piastre.
3) As I was traveling alone I was given my own guide - which meant more flexibility in doing the monuments, and independence in asking even the most rubbish of questions. Don't take anything they say as the truth. Always ask questions and be a critical-thinking tourist.
4) The buffets were a real treat after a tiring day of sightseeing.

TIPS ON GIVING TIPS Instead of giving tips every time, an envelope is passed around on the last day of the cruise. While it is voluntary in theory, the "going rate" for tips as of May 2007 is about EGP 30-50 per day. Drivers and guides are given tips separately - EGP 30/day for the driver, and EGP 40-50/day for the guide.

What I don't like
1) Slow feedback while I was doing my booking. I booked with their Dubai office (see website for contact details), and I only got confirmation a day prior to departure.
2) Pre-determined seats during mealtimes - which meant tourists have very limited opportunities to mingle around and make new friends, not that I didn't like my dining partner Bill, a cool techie guy from California. But after two or three meals together, it would have been nice to meet other people.
3) One staff tried to extort from me after helping me with my baggage even if I have already given quite a generous "collective" tip for the crew on checkout.

Website: http://www.travcotels.com

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Aug 15, 2007

“I travel, therefore, I am.”

Have you been to Egypt?