Cracker Barrel Old Country Store: "too loud for me" Top 5 Page for this destination Newport News Restaurant Tip by davecallahan

Newport News Restaurants: 5 reviews and 16 photos

I need earlugs when I go into their dining area ala warehouse. It is a high-ceiling affair with no wall coverings and very few partitions so it is like walking into a high school gymnasium with all of its echos. Conversation is almost impossible so every one keeps talking louder and louder. My wife's family loves this place.

The food is actually pretty good. You can eat light (eggs and grits) or go whole hog (meat and pancakes). My light meal costs under $10 including the ever-fill coffee. My brother-in-law goes for the steak-and-cakes meal that is close to $20 per person. I tend to finish fast and excuse myself from the table (after dropping my share of the bill in the kitty) and go into the country store part of the building where they have the restrooms and peace and quiet.

My wife just loves browsing through all the little stuff they have in the store: souvenier tee shirts; homemade soaps; kites for the kids; chinaware as gift sets; just about everything (there is even a sign that says "kitchen sinks available at the counter").

So, after taking an aspirin for my headache, I'd have to say that if you can stand the noise this is a good place for breakfast.

Address: 12357 Hornsby Ln
Price Comparison: about average
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: American
Website: http://www.crackerbarrel.com/

• Written Jul 7, 2007

Comments

davecallahan

“why didn't you tell me that 10 minutes ago....”

Have you been to Newport News?