Brumbys (Bakeries): "Pane de Casa - what a Delight!" Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Shopping Tip by Kakapo2

Christchurch Shopping: 42 reviews and 40 photos

Pane de casa - super delicious!
by Kakapo2

Like Baker's Delight, Brumbys is a bakery franchise with a great range of breads and other baking products.

It originates in Australia and is now quickly spreading in New Zealand, so my list of shops in Christchurch will probably be already incomplete when it is going to be published.

Just keep your eyes open, and when you spot one, remember that I told you to taste the extraordinary pane de casa. It is better than the language mix - as "pane" is the Italian word for bread, and "de casa" Spanish for "of the house". Italian would be "di casa"... (I am always amazed what lingual daredevils we have in the English speaking world LOL but this is another story ;-)

Anyway. This bread is similar to ciabatta - just even more deliiiiiiicious. Incredible! No wonder that they permanently run out of it. This, again, makes me wonder why they do not just bake more of it. When you try it late in the day it is as hopeless as on weekends if you do not go shopping early. I have started to buy it on the way to the gym early in the afternoon on weekdays, and at this time of the day I have never been disappointed.

As we have discovered the pane de casa in the early days I cannot say a lot about other breads they offer. Once when they had run out of it I tried the Californian sourdough bread which is rather fluffy - cannot recommend it at all. But they also have dark varieties and breads with a lot of grains which normally would be my first choice. Just not there. The pane de casa is too deliiiiiiiiicious ;-)

Actually there are shops at:

Hornby Mall (Main South Road)
Barrington Mall (256 Barrington Street)
Eastgate Mall (Linwood)
Edgeware Mall, St. Albans (72 Edgeware Road)

What to buy: Pane de casa!

What to pay: NZ$ 4.50 per loaf.

Theme: Food and Drink

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Kakapo2 Lives Here!

“Visit dream destinations but keep your eyes open”

Have you been to Christchurch?