"And now... a dip in the sea AFTER sauna!" Turku Local Custom Tip by Laura_Mexico

Turku Local Customs: 28 reviews and 27 photos

Here I am being attacked by my finn pal
by Laura_Mexico

As you may know, the Finns (and other people in Northern & Eastern Europe) have a weird habit that goes along with their sauna tradition: since the temperature within the sauna is really high and they cannot stand being inside for a very long time (even while drinking cold beer/cider), they come out after a while and plunge into the FREEZING water (in this case it was the ocean but it could be a lake too) and once they've lowered their body temperature they can go back inside the sauna for another while, then come back out and so forth. I understand that during the winter they roll over the snow instead..... BRRRRRRR!!!!

During my first visit to Finland I was invited to do this but I firmly refused..... I thought I would die of pneumonia if I did! I saw my friends do it but I was really afraid of doing it myself since I'm not used to it. On my second visit we were drinking and having fun and, since I already had a bad cold, I thought "What the heck...!" and I decided to jump in the water! It did feel ugly in the beginning, especially because I was too coward to jump inside in one motion (which is the best thing to do indeed) and I slowly entered the water until I finally allowed the water to cover my entire body & head -- so it felt worse. But it was a fun experience and I even did it twice! I never thought I'd gather the courage to do it but I finally experienced what it feels like and it was fun.

You may see in the picture how I was mercilessly attacked by one of my friends who started throwing cold water at me -- as if it wasn't enough to be already submerged in it!! This is quite a normal thing for them though....

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Updated May 12, 2008

Comments

Laura_Mexico

“Men suck BIG TIME... But TRAVELLING IS THE BEST! :)”

Have you been to Turku?