"Dragon Boat Festival ( Tuen Ng Festival )" Festivals Tip by bpacker

Hubby's Boat Team in Stanley Bay

Hubby's Boat Team in Stanley Bay
      The other teams
    by bpacker

Definition:Dragon Boat Racing is the Asian equivilent of the Oxbridge race, albeit with a shorter paddle , a drummer to boot and a dragon's head on the prow. Normally celebrated in in Hong Kong in early June to mark the death of an ancient hero.

Where to see this:Stanley Bay and various other locations
(see link below for more details)

Since arriving in HK about a month, Hubby has assimilated nicely in his new home. So comfortable is he that his mates have recruited him as a team member in the annual Dragon Boat contest . Dragon Boat Racing is BIG over here, so big that it is a public holiday on its own.This sport orginated from China when a Chinese national hero, Qu Yuan,drowned himself some 2000 years ago to protest against corrupted officials. His suicide drove the local folks nuts since the sods took to their boats, beat some drums loudly to scare the living hell out of all the fish in the river and later threw lots of tasty rice dumplings to prevent the same fish from feasting on their hero. Yes, grief drives us to do odd things sometimes.

Still, I'm proud to say that my husband is now carrying on this proud tradition of rowing the dragon boat in Hong Kong. Though this sport was available in Singapore, we were never really into it as most Singaporeans care more about the fish fodder, I meant dumplings, than about dragon boat racing. It's true, most of us would rather spend up to S$20 for glutinous rice dumplings stuffed with abalone, chestnuts and other exotic ingredients then paddle a boat in the river and get a really bad sunburn. I'm no exempt.

My knowledge of Duan Wu Jie ( The Dragonboat Festival ) is sadly limited to dumplings. It's a real pity I can't make it to HK in time for this event but trust me, I will be in Stanley Bay next year about this time to cheer for hubby, with poms poms and maybe a dumpling or two.

Note:Hubby's team came in 7th this year and they celebrated over beer, not dumplings.

Website: http://www.dragonboat.org.hk/en/home/homepage.html

• Updated Aug 16, 2007

Comments

bpacker Lives Here!

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Have you been to Hong Kong?