Lokys: "Have you eaten beaver before?" Vilnius Restaurant Tip by tord

Vilnius Restaurants: 192 reviews and 291 photos

This restaurant is fantastic. It is housed in an old merchants house and is based in the cellars. When once you are down there they are very spacous with wonderful high vaulted ceilings but, if like me, you are a little claustrophobic, you need to grit your teeth to get down through the twisted steps and narrow confines to get to them. However it is well worth it. The menu is quite varied and they have about 3 choices for vegetarians - quite unusual for Eastern Europe.

Favorite Dish: I only ate there once and wanted something from the "Hunters" menu. I finally decided on the beaver meat stew with mushrooms and mashed potatoes, which at 29 litas was good value. (About 6.00) For pud i had icecream melting in hot berries and together with a black currant vodka and a large lager it only came to 60 litas or around 12. Well worth it- both for the taste and the ability to dine out on the story that I have eaten beaver!! Sorry, I apologise for my immature sense of humour.
The full menu is on their website and I have included the link below.

Address: 8/10 Stikliu Street
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Just off the square that houses the old town hall. There is a flag of a bear outside - Lokys means bear apparently.
othercontact: email info@lokys.lt
Phone: (+370 5) 26229046
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.lokys.lt

• Written Jun 30, 2007

“not all who wander are lost”

Have you been to Vilnius?