"Madgaon & Old Goa..." India Things to Do Tip by coceng

India Things to Do: 1,030 reviews and 1,687 photos

After Hampi, I had to reach Madgaon, a small town that could let me access Old Goa.
Madgaon is a railway station in the south of Goa.
Goa is famous as a place to let your hair down, to let loose, to just forget all the woes of the world place !
That said, it's not really for me.
I couldn't be bothered seeing tourists getting drunk, doing drugs, having sex on the beach etc etc etc kind of behaviors.
Still, I would love to see Old Goa.
Also known as 'Velha Goa'. 'Velha' means old in Portuguese.
Old churches still in sessions, there are churches affiliated to various congregations, including the Se Cathedral (the seat of the Archbishop of Goa), the church of St Francis of Assisi, the church of S. Caetano, and notably, the Basilica of Bom Jesus which contains the incorruptible body of Saint Francis Xavier !
How's that ?!
I even managed to take photos & videos inside some of these churches.
Old Goa is a place to stroll around, just feel the breeze of this place makes you think of the old past of this famous place in India.
Of course, not just Old Goa is famous, the beaches in Goa (many of them & some are secluded), especially Panaji is famous among backpackers.
Unfortunately, I didn't reach any of these beaches so I can't really give my comment on any of them.
That's for you guys to go to & give your own comments !

Directions: I hired a motorbike from Madgaon to reach Old Goa. It's just so convenience to explore anywhere in Goa.
To reach Goa itself, there are of course trains & buses to reach Goa from many destinations in India ! Goa is a very well-known place indeed !

• Updated Jun 30, 2007

“It's a silent world only if we keep our eyes shut...”

Have you been to India?