"Housing New Zealand: Pigs have their own Homes" Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Local Custom Tip by Kakapo2
Christchurch Local Customs: 42 reviews and 46 photos
When you drive to the West Coast and look over the paddocks to your left, near West Melton, you will spot something typical for Mid and South Canterbury: Pigs have their own houses!
By always staring to the left you will not miss a lot on your right apart from the odd cute lamb. West Melton is in the middle of farmland in the outskirts of Christchurch (and near a big prison...), quite a way before you enter the dramatic alpine landscapes of Porters and Arthur's Pass.
Last time I even noticed that the pigs' houses have numbers. If this is to make mail delivery easier or to identify more clearly which pig will be the next in the slaugherhouse, is not clear to me. Anyway, it is rather a surprising sight.
The houses provide shelter to the pigs in heat and cold, as they have no fleece which would protect them from the elements and sunburn.
It is said that those free-range pigs are happy and friendly, and you do not have the stink of a normal pig-sty which you would smell for miles.
The Selwyn district has more pigs than any other district in NZ. In 2006 there were 17 pig factory farms, as they call it, with a total number of 64,000 pigs.
More Local Customs in Christchurch (15)
More Reviews (228)
- See All The new after-quake double-decker city...
- See All Produce and fruit fresh from the orchard
- See All Local transport after the earthquakes
- See All Pure indulgence
- See All Scared Scriptless comedy show
- See All Accommodation after the February...
- See All Tour Buses are no Banksafes
- See All Mountain Biking in the Port Hills on a...
- See All Succulent Steaks and Divine Desserts
- See All A new Maori Experience on the Styx River
- See All KoTane have found a new Source of Income
Been to Christchurch?Share your travels with the world!
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Have you been to Christchurch?Share Your Travels