""Why and What is everyone chewing?" PART 1 of 2" Top 5 Page for this destination Food and Drink Tip by JessH

Food and Drink, Heidelberg: 13 reviews and 44 photos

Sauerkraut with Sausages & Ham (German food)
by JessH

Sauerkraut with Sausages & Ham (German food)
      German Sausages
    by JessH
      True German Brezeln (=pretzels)
    by JessH
      My grandmother's German cakes :-)
    by JessH
      Bretzel and Bratwurst (German food)
    by JessH

I took my Scottish fiance to Germany for the first time. His first question was "are all you Germans blond?" followed by "why is everyone chewing"?
You'll notice that in Heidelberg people are on the move, and it's normal to see everyone "snacking" constantly. There are so many yummy things... I don't blame them!

Here are some "typical" German foods. Note that Southern German cuisine differs greatly from Northern German cuisine. Many dishes in Heidelberg will also be served in Cologne & Munich, but probably not in Hamburg or Berlin.

> Bakeries ("Baekerei" in German) - they are the Germans' "backbone". We love our fresh breads & pastries, and many bakeries have added a few tall tables in a corner so you can stand, have a snack & a cup of coffee ("Stehcafe" = standing cafe) Try: Mohnstrudel / Schneckennudel (poppyseed cake), Zopf (yeast dough cake), Berliner (jam filled donut), Bienenstich (cream-filled cake "bee sting"), etc.

> On that note, let's mention the "Brezel" - I don't mean those tiny, salty crispy things that Americans eat whilst watching TV. The original Brezel is big, chewy with a buttery taste and has been dipped into a special brine before baking.

> The Almighty Sausage ("Wurst" in German): Germans love their MEATS. Even though I no longer eat meat, I have to admit: you haven't eaten a sausage until you've tried a German sausage! Look for "Bratwurst" or "Knackwurst" and enjoy! Most sausages are pork, but beef or turkey are widely available. The most famous is the "Nuernberger". The sausage is best eaten with some mustard, wedged between a crispy white bun or with a Brezel.

> "A grumpy German is a Sauer Kraut"... this sour cabbage dish is famous. You either love it or hate it. Truth is: it's incredibly healthy & high in vitamin C.

> The best Ham & Cake in the world: The Black Forest isn't far from Heidelberg, so in the city itself you'll find the world famous Ham and also the Cake (or Gateau). Look for "Schwarzwaelder" and enjoy!

(click on the photos!)

Website: http://www.germanfoods.org/

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

JessH Visits Here Frequently!

JessH

“I've packed my bags, I'm ready to go... ... ...”

Have you been to Heidelberg?