"Be aware of the unique ?ground?" Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Favorite Tip by Trekki

Venice General: 810 reviews and 1,137 photos

Campanile of chiesa di San Pietro di Castello

Campanile of chiesa di San Pietro di Castello
      Campanile of chiesa San Grigorio dei Greci
      Campanile of chiesa San Martino on Burano
      Palazzo Ducale - slightly uneven
    by Trekki

Favorite thing: Most of us know this feeling of dizziness when we were on a boat for quite a while and walk back on firm ground ? everything seems to move for some time. So when travelling through Venezia on the boats, this very feeling can happen. But I am almost sure that Venezia?s ground also partly moves. Not a lot and definitely not really noticeable, but enough to give us landpeople a slightly dizzy feeling. During my 12 days in town and around the lagoon, walking and taking vaporettos, I still had that ?the ship is moving? feeling for roughly one week after I was back home.

How unstable the ground can become over the long years and centuries visible though. Just look at the several bell-towers/campanili in Venezia and on the other islands. Already on Burano, the campanile of chiesa San Martino is extremely crooked, due to the soft underground. In Venezia I saw three campanili leaning which show how fragile the ground is. One is on Isola San Pietro, the campanile of chiesa San Pietro di Castello (photo 1), the other one is the one of San Grigorio del Greci (photo 2) east of Piazza San Marco and the third one is a campanile in southern Canaregio.

The most interesting observation however I made after I was back home, when I looked at my photos. The western façade of Palazzo Ducale is also not even (horizontally). Photo 4 shows the façade and how uneven the otherwise so accurate symmetry of the palazzo is just above the first floor arcades.
This is also a sign how much the whole areal around Piazza San Marco is affected by the lagoon situation (draining of ground water in the past, too much traffic and waves, the cruise ships, etc).

So who tends to become seasick easily, beware. Or think consider if "the ship moves" at home or in the accommodation.

© Ingrid D., July 2007 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.). Update June 2015: wording.

• Updated Jun 16, 2015

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2015 at 5:48 AM

I thought only Pisa had a leaning tower but now I learn there are many in Venice.

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Venice?