"Like architecture? Look for John Ruskin books" Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Favorite Tip by Trekki

Venice General: 810 reviews and 1,137 photos

Sarah Quill - The Stones Revisited
      Sarah Quill - The Stones Revisited
    by Trekki
      John Ruskin - The Stones of Venice (short version)
      John Ruskin - The 7 Lamps of Architecture
    by Trekki

Favorite thing: I might have heard the name John Ruskin already earlier. But it was only after I came back from my visit in Venezia that I found his books mentioned on some websites. What a pity that I didn?t discover him earlier. But reason to come back one day because his books made me even more addicted to La Serenissima and her magnificent soul. So next time I?ll visit her, I have his books with me and follow his footsteps, maybe ? or surely ? I will discover even more of her hidden gems and spirit.

Born in London in1819, John Ruskin was an artist and a poet and wrote articles about the poetry of architecture already in his teens. Over the years he was fascinated about Gothic style and wrote ?The Seven Lamps of Architecture?, followed by ?The Stones of Venice?. The latter has three volumes (for 180 USD), but there is also a short version available, to learn about his investigations in the city. He must have made sketches of literally every palazzo, arch, campanile, church, bridge, ? well, stone. I had to smile when I realised that he also went around each of the columns at Palazzo Ducale and made sketches of each of the capitals; something I also did, but not with a sketchbook but with my camera.

For a more practical approach I highly recommend the book by Sarah Quill ?The Stones revisited?. She went to Venezia to take photos of the buildings John Ruskin described and then wrote a modern guide through Ruskin?s Venezia. The book is fascinating to read and also helped me to identify some of the lesser known palazzi, I took photos of during my trip along Canal Grande.
In addition, there is a shorter version of ?The Stones of Venice? available, which I also recommend to buy if your likes are architecture.

For those interested in architecture: architect Jan-Christoph Rößler wrote on his website about Venezia?s architecture and describes a great many of the palazzi (website still active in 2015):
The Art and Architecture of Venezia

The books I have mentioned above, are available at Amazon:
The seven Lamps of Architecture
The Stones of Venice
The Stones Revisited

© Ingrid D., July 2007 (So please do not copy my text without my permission.). Update June 2015: wording.

• Updated Jun 16, 2015

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2015 at 12:05 AM

We once visited John Ruskin's home in the Lake District (Brantwood near Coniston) and later sent our daughter to a school that was originally based on Ruskin's educational writings.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Jul 10, 2015 at 12:48 AM

Oh this is interesting!! So she learned based on his education? I so like his view on Venice and want to go back to look "through his eyes" :-)

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Venice?