"Excellent Value, Convenient Hotel" Continental Hotel Tip by Marianne2

by Marianne2
      Hotel Continental, Vicenza
    by Marianne2
  • Excellent Value, Convenient Hotel - Vicenza

Hotel Continental, with three stars, is a place where I would definitely stay twice. I spent two nights here while in Italy on business, and I thought the value was excellent for services received.

The hotel is just outside Vicenza?s walled town, a 10-12-minute walk to the city center and the main sites in town. The hotel is simple to find, as it is adjacent to the sports stadium (I experienced no noise from it). The neighborhood is basically quiet and residential. The hotel is 2.5km from the train station (taxi ride of Euro 7), and a 1.1km walk from the center of town. Bus #10 also offers transport: ask at the front desk for directions (Euro 1.10).

My single room (#112) was at the back of the hotel, which I would recommend for quietness. There are some balconied rooms facing the street, but I suspect they might get traffic noise. When booking, ask for a renovated room, as they are gradually re-decorating all rooms.

The room décor is starkly Italian modern ? spare in furnishings, but done in a classy minimalist way (photo #2). The photos on the hotel website show all the rooms well. The room was exceptionally clean, and everything in it looked brand-new. Amenities: satellite TV, radio, telephone, internet socket (wireless available), A/C, hairdryer. The sleek bathroom with bidet was equally spotless, with basic amenities, such as shampoo, etc.

Room rates in 2007 are: standard single E 48 (not renovated); superior single (my room, renovated) E 63; standard double E 61, superior double E 75; suite E 99. Breakfast is an additional E 7, and is a very complete Continental breakfast with juices, hot beverages, fruits, muffins, croissants, cereals, muesli, yoghurt, cold cheeses & meats (photo #3).

The public spaces include the lobby with guest computer (fee); a small bar with a limited assortment of wines, beers, liquors; the dining room, open for breakfast; and a very welcome elevator. There is a solarium, but I didn?t see it. There?s free parking and also bicycle storage.

Unique Qualities: The hotel, particularly the front desk (photo #4), was excellent in service. One thing very important to me is responsiveness when booking. I queried five Vicenza hotels by direct e-mails or on their website, and the Continental was the first to respond, within 12 hours. One other hotel responded about 6 days later, another 14 days later, and the other two never responded at all. I booked the Continental very easily via direct e-mail with the hotel.

Everyone at the front desk spoke perfect English, although I struggled along in my Italian. They gave me maps, brochures, directions, and recommended places to eat (Tips to come).

Another good feature for me was that although the hotel was in a primarily residential neighborhood, nearly adjacent was a small SISA Supermercado (open until 1400), and Ricci Snack Bar/Gelateria, where I could grab snack items, or even a light meal, if needed (photo #5).

Address: Via Le Trissino 89, Vicenza, VI 36100
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: The hotel is adjacent to the sports stadium, and easy to find. It is in the SE part of Vicenza, just outside the city walls. Bus #10 connects with the center of old city (ask front desk). Bus is E 1.10.
othercontact: info@continental-hotel.it
Phone: 39-(0)444-505476/78
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.continental-hotel.it

• Written Jun 23, 2007

“"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." -- Mark Twain”

Have you been to Vicenza?