VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"A REFRESHMENT AT POTONG PASIR BLOCK 120" Singapore Off The Beaten Path Tip by Bonobo2005

Singapore Off The Beaten Path: 431 reviews and 571 photos

Severely sweating from all this excitement, I was getting very thirsty and lucky to see the housing blocks of Potong Pasir in the distance. At Block 120 were a few shops and I bought a roll of Mentos and a Coke Light. Looking forward to the consumption, I settled on a nice bench with great views on the Woodleigh Waterworks Complex, and opened the can of Coke. But it had not the expected taste, it was so blend that I intuitively looked at the expiry date and noticed to my disgust the “best before” date was exceeded several months already. I threw it away in the nearest recycling container. Then I saw a barefooted old man passing by walking briskly. And a man throwing out his net in the canal hoping to find a tiny little fish between the dirt. I had wondered many times why Singapore is still not recognised as a First World country by some. Now I know: it’s because of Potong Pasir!

The last kilometer of my afternoon hike did not bring much more joy in the early evening hours. A few more warehouses, a huge carpark for SBS buses and Comfort Cabs. When I reached Braddell Road, I discovered a busstop and decided it was time to go home, only to come back here next day to continue my effort to reach Lower Peirce Reservoir Park!

• Written Jun 23, 2007

Comments

Bonobo2005 Used To Live Here!

Have you been to Singapore?