"The Coliseum" Colosseum Tip by Scarlie

Colosseum, Rome: 496 reviews and 946 photos

The Coliseum
by Scarlie

You can't go to Rome and not see the Coliseum so this is not an original tip. However, it's one I couldn't simply not write.

We had to clear security first (bag x-ray checks only) - but the line in our case moved very quickly. Only half an hour earlier we've found a camera, so for a second I got really flushed realising I was about to push through xray an object I didn't know anything about... paranoia!...

After the security check, you buy tickets (also valid for the Palatine Hill before 12 noon on the next day). EU citizens under-26 get halfp price. You could also make reservations beforehand, so then you jump the queue.

The Coliseum is just magnificent, and what's even more impressing is that it could be completely evacuated in 12 minutes. Having said that, be careful coz the stairs can be slippery (they are practically polished by the number of shoes trodding on them on a daily basis). I liked the way they restored only half of the arena so we can see the underground premises - gives you a batter perspective, even tho for a closer view you need to rent The Gladiator. ;-)

Phone: (+39) 06 39967700