"An escape into exquisite ambiance." Casa Batlló Tip by Misha_abq

Casa Batlló, Barcelona: 139 reviews and 299 photos

Gaudi, born on June 25, 1852, working on Casa Batllo from 1905-1907 instilling his distinctive organic shapes into every aspect of the building. The tile interior of the building changes from light to dark blue as you move from the ground floor to the rooftop. The exterior balconies take their forms from human bones, haunting the observer for days while chimneys, balconies, and roofs all flow with undulating shapes, making them a surprise and treat for the eye. He used broken ceramic tiles to create a mosaic façade that change color with the different times of the day.

The Casa captivated my attention immediately and enticed me into its unique interiors. I had already been to Sagrada and fought the immense tourist crowds. But Casa Batllo wrapped its flowing architectural lines, clean white arches, and spiritual ambiance around me and I fell in love with this building. I kept returning to it, watching the other visitors whisk through the rooms while I just sat and absorbed the silence and light. Perfection and attention to detail permeated every room, even the laundry room. Can you tell this was one of my highlights of Barcelona?

Address: Passeig de Gràcia 43
Directions: Take the metro to Passeig de Gràcia, or bus 7, 16, 17, 22, 24, 28, 43 or 44.
Phone: 93 488 06 66
Website: http://www.casabatllo.es/

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jun 30, 2007

“Yes, Dorothy, there are travel advantages to a good pair of ruby slippers.”

Have you been to Barcelona?