Ninja: "Theme Restaurant That Actually Has Good Food" Ninja New York Tip by FatesWarn

Ninja New York, New York City: 2 reviews and 0 photos

My husband can't get enough of Ninjas, so when we found out about this restaurant, he insisted that we go there. I was not excited at all about this restaurant, and I was only going to appease him. We've all been to theme restaurants before, they usually cater to families because they have fun distractions for the kids, and little to offer in the culinary department. Although the menu looked promising, I still feared disappointment.
When we entered the restaurant doors, we walked into a foyer and were greeted by the maitre'd; she put us on an elevator and sent us downstairs. As the elevator slowed to a stop, the lights dimmed down, the door opened, and we stepped out into a very dim-lighted room, where out of nowhere, a ninja stepped out to greet us. She guided us to our table in a ninja fashion. They have two dining rooms; one is an open area and the other has small tables set into alcoves with lattice doors that your server closes, so you are dining with absolute privacy.
I was pleasantly surprised as each course I ordered was beautifully presented and equally delicious. The meal was pretty expensive, half of our bill was for drinks ($5 for each soda), but such is dining in New York. This would be a great place to bring the kids (they have a kids menu), but the price can certainly be prohibitive for families.

Favorite Dish: My husband had the Kuro-Subuta, which was a tender pork coated in a dark barbecue sauce; it tasted like perfectly cooked ribs without any of the fuss of eating them. I had the Crab Roll, which was a sushi roll with king crab and bechamel sauce, seaweed on the outside, fried briefly in tempura. The bechamel gave it a nice creamy texture, while the tempura added a perfect crispyness.
For dessert, my husband had the Rose Chocolate, which was like a pot de creme, but it had a layer of a marshmallow-like treat on the bottom of the bowl. I had the rice pudding, which was light and creamy and served with a homemade blueberry sorbet on top.

Address: 25 Hudson Street, New York, New York 10013
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: On Hudson between Duane and Reade
Phone: 212-274-8500
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 4
Theme: Japanese/Sushi

• Updated Jun 18, 2007

“Tasty Traveling”

Have you been to New York City?