"I stayed at a beautiful..." Sydney Suburbs Tip by PeterFusco

Sydney Suburbs, Sydney: 25 reviews and 27 photos

Favorite thing: I stayed at a beautiful woman's house in Mosman, a wealthy suburb of Sydney. It's the only way to go unless you meet a gifted (in a variety of ways) flight attendant from San Diego named Diane and she invites you to stay with her at the hotel during her layover.

You have to eat Thai at any one of several great Thai restaurants in Sydney. You have to visit the Italian section of the city and sip huge cups of espresso at a place on the middle of the block in the heart of the section. I can't remember it's name, but that's ok, it's the only one there.

You have to visit the only Italian restaurant in Mosman (I think it's called La Trattoria) and tell them Peter Fusco from New York sent you. They will play 'New York, New York' by Frank Sinatra in that event. Make you feel right at home if you're a New Yorker. If they ask, 'who?' Just tell them, 'the guy who tipped you people so much of that play money you guys have in Australia.' (My Mosman hostess told me no one tips in Aussieland. I told her no one doesn't tip in New York.)

You have to visit the opera house, but I wouldn't attend the opera unless you are an afficionado. It is not very comfortable and the acoustics aren't that great.

Check out the Sydney zoo (from which I was ousted for trying to get a Wallaby to hop).

Go to the Bonaventure hotel in Mosman and drink Jack Daniels. They love that.

Have your shoes fixed by the old Korean guy whose shop is kitty corner from the Bonaventure.

Go to Old Town and check out the bars.

Check out Manly Beach. I think that's what it's called.

You have to go to the wine country. It's beautiful and the people are fantastic.

And you have to keep telling yourself that its not good to fall in love with an entire country so fast.

Fondest memory: A woman named Janice. She was a kind and decent hostess whom I will never forget.

• Written Aug 24, 2002

“Mothers, don`t let your sons grow up to be writers.”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.