"Worse than HELL!" Generator London Tip by Julie1and2

Generator London, London: 2,010 reviews and 22 photos

I screwed up my reservation at the Radisson Edwardian hotel where I was supposed to stay the whole time, so I ended up having to find somewhere to stay for the last night. I had a Lonely Planet guidebook and it pointed out a hostel called the Generator. I called and making the reservation was easy. They were actually very pleasant on the phone. In fact, the staff at the place was very nice. Everything else, however, was deplorable! Our room was really tiny and it had really gross bunkbeds with stained sheets. The room was so small that the bunkbeds were crammed up against the door, blocking the door from opening all the way. There were lockers in the room that were dented and broken. One wouldn't close and the other woulnd't open so they were useless to us. There was a little metal sink that was reminiscent of a prison cell.

All of this I can live with - afterall, I wasn't expecting too much out of a hostel. I knew it might not be aesthetically pleasing. But the worst part was when we came home around midnight, tired and ready for sleep. When we walked in the front door, there were strobe lights and extremely loud techno music blasting from the bar, which is located on the first floor. We thought we might not here it on the 3rd floor, but we did. It was making our beds vibrate.

On top of that, there were teenagers everywhere...sleeping on couches, sitting on the floor, running down the hallway, hanging out in the bathroom. We happened to have a group of about 15 Spaniards next to us and they were shouting in Spanish out the windows to their friends on the other side of the building.

This went on until about 4am. I had earplugs with me, but they really didn't help, at all. It was one of the worst nights I ever had. I hate to sound like a complainer, but it really was a nightmare. If you're out of college, I don't recommend you stay here.

Address: 37 Tavistock Place, , London, England WC1H 9SE
Price Comparison: about average
Phone: 442073887666
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hostel
Website: http://www.generatorhostels.com/en/destinations/london/

• Updated Jun 15, 2007

“A good traveler has no fixed plans.”

Have you been to London?