"on the way to Bonn" Cologne Off The Beaten Path Tip by richiecdisc

Cologne Off The Beaten Path: 64 reviews and 102 photos

a little bit of the old in out, in out
by richiecdisc

Back in 1999, my friend and I were on our way to Bonn for a day trip to view Beethoven's house and to try Bonch, Bonn's recently concocted version of Kölsch. That beer was quite unremarkable and served in a silly bent glass. On the way back, I noticed a beer sign on a small pub from the train window. I looked over at my friend and he knew immediately I wanted to hop off the train and try one. A good thing about German trains is if you buy a ticket between two cities you are allowed to get off and on as many times as you want as long as you continue in the same direction. So, we did. We found the Richmodis Kölsch quite tasty. One beer later we were back on the train platform and the whole thing took less than an hour. We saw a part of Germany we'd never have seen without this little stop and we talk about it sometimes and laugh at the impulsive move. I'm glad we did. It seems the Gaffel brewery has since taken over Richmodis. Who knows if the beer is the same now or if it will even exist in ten years.

• Updated Jun 14, 2007

More Off The Beaten Path in Cologne (1)

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Cologne?