Mercado Colonial: "Souvenires: Mercado Colonial" Dominican Republic Shopping Tip by melosh

Dominican Republic Shopping: 39 reviews and 46 photos

On my last visit to Santo Domingo I was directed to the Mercado Colonial by a tourism department official as an alternative to walking the 10 blocks to the Mercado Modelo. Apparently this is a new market (It is not mentioned in Lonely Planet.) made of stores with the same ownership as the stores in the Mercado Modelo. The official told me I could even get better prices at this more conveniently located market. (After having seen the market --It seems more upscale than Mercado Modelo--and glanced at the prices I doubt the veracity of this statement.)

The only tricky part to identifying this collection of stores called a market is that the entrance seems to be just the entrance to a typical shop. As you penetrate you see that store after store opens to the passage that extends for the full length of the large block.

What to buy: It seems to have just about everything offered in the Dominican Republic. The listed prices for paintings seemed very high, but I can not say what they would have reached after bargaining. The rum prices were 35% higher than in a nearby grocery store. I was not given the impression that a discount over 10% was likely on the rum. I was almost happy I did not seeing anything I really wanted because I did not have time for any protracted bargaining.

What to pay: This is only a quick impression, but I felt that if I found something I liked I was going to have a hard time getting the price down to reasonable.

Directions: From the corner of Parque Colon where the El Conde Restaurant is situated, head north along Arzobispo Merino for two to three blocks. The market is on the right side of the road and occupies much of a full city block.
Theme: Local Craft

• Written Jun 13, 2007

melosh Visits Here Frequently!

“If you have not been, you can not know.”

Have you been to Dominican Republic?