Päffgen: "well worth the walk" Cologne Restaurant Tip by richiecdisc

Cologne Restaurants: 177 reviews and 217 photos

was it real or was it Memorex?
by richiecdisc

You hope to find one of these on every trip but it's not always the case. This was not mere luck but sheer perseverance. Mine for pushing, and my lovely wife's for putting up with me. Four days of endless beer hunting in Belgium right before this short Cologne trip would have been enough to bring about a divorce for most couples but she knows I find my share of gems and this is one of them. It was late. By any account, we should have already been on our way to meet VTer Sabsi in Düsseldorf for our farewell night before heading back to the US. But I wanted to check this out of the center pub out too badly to give up.

It is truly is like walking back in time once you walk through the door. It's why I look so hard and put up with such utter disappointment sometimes; to find a place like this. Wood, yes, paintings, yes, people talking loudly, yes, beers brought without asking, yes. Black & White, it feels like it.

Favorite Dish: Beers are brought without asking. What else would you drink, right? We'd already eaten twice but were glad we still had room for a snack of raw pork spread on local bread. It went perfectly with the city's tastiest Kölsch. Dry and fruity, just like a Kölsch should be. Forever when I think of going back to Cologne, I will think of being in this pub. I just hope it doesn't change one bit.

Address: 64-66 Friesenstrasse
Comparison: about average
Directions: This one is a bit out of the center but well worth the walk. Head north of the old town center for about 20 minutes.
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Pub/Brewery
Website: http://www.paeffgen-koelsch.de

• Written Jun 12, 2007

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Cologne?