"From Prague to Vienna" Prague Transportation Tip by Ekaterinburg

Prague Transportation: 714 reviews and 670 photos

Waiting for the Praha-Wien Express at Holesovice
by Ekaterinburg

Several trains leave Prague every day for Vienna. When I set about acquiring a ticket or even some precise details about the exact timetables, prices, departure points etc., I could not believe the confusion levels I encountered. No matter how many websites I accessed and how many queries I made on travel forums, I was drowning in a sea of misinformation. Between different carriers, different routes and different points of origin, it seemed impossible to arrive at the simple conclusion of where to book your ticket. For this reason I am deliberately not posting any website references here. Instead I will just share what I know to be hard and fast information.

At 13.35 and 17.30 daily, there are trains to Vienna from Holesovice Station in Prague. You do not have to book your ticket in advance and your ticket will be cheaper if you purchase it at the station on the day. BUT, if like me you want the security of knowing your seat is reserved and the luxury of not queuing up, you can book a ticket in your own country. I bought mine in Iarnrod Eireann's European Reservations Dept in Dublin and they charged me a EUR10 processing fee. The ticket itself cost Eur 42 + an extra three to reserve a seat.

Holesovice Station is a good choice for travelling from as it's reasonably small and easy to navigate. It's on the Mala Strana side of the river and you can get there by red line (C) on the metro. The Prague-Vienna train left from platform 2 and took 4 hrs. 30 minutes. 2nd class seats were quite comfortable but when the carriage was full, leg-room wasn't exactly generous.

Border crossing on the 1.35 train is at Breclav and guards come aboard the train to check your passport. Arriving at Sudbahnhoff in Vienna, just cross the street and tram D ( 2) will take you straight into the Ringstrasse.
The telephone mumber is for Holesovice Station.

Mode: TO
Phone: +420 220 806 790
Type: Train

• Updated Jun 13, 2007

More Transportation in Prague (1)

Comments

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Have you been to Prague?