Sunset View Fales: "Wonderful Samoan resort" Independant State of Samoa Hotel Tip by ChrisFJ

Independant State of Samoa Hotels: 28 reviews and 39 photos

My wife and I highly recommend Sunset View Fales on Manono Island in Samoa. Manono is a small island, 2 hours to walk around, in between the two main islands. There are no dogs and no vehicles at all on it, big bonus for us!
We phoned Leota in advance and he arranged for us to be collected from the airport at 11pm and taken straight to the resort (30 min in vehicle, 30 min by boat), which was wonderful since it meant we didn't have to find alternative accomodation for one night. They also dropped us back to the airtport at the end of our stay.
We had been travelling for a long time so decided that if the place was nice, we would just stay there for our whole week in Samoa, which we feel was a good idea for us. We received a discount due to our longer stay.
Great things about Sunset View Fales:
Run by Leota and his family - they are lovely and helpful people. Also we felt happier staying in a local run place than a foreign-owned/managed one. He's a nice chap and has done a good job and is constantly improving the place. We stayed in some recently finished fales with en-suite bathroom.
Snorkelling - we are not experienced snorkelers, but thought the reef surrounding the island was amazing - loads of creatures, fish, colours, clear water etc. Someone took us out most days, sometimes twice a day, to the reef.
Traditional meals yum yum yum. I have dietary requirements which were accounted for very well - I had to request and inform them of what I had to avoid/what I liked, and once I had explained they were very happy to provide. Western food has entered Samoa in the last few years/decades, tinned goods and white bread, probably associated iwth the recent obesity issue there. Sometimes they would serve some of this stuff up, but if you just let them know you like fresh preferably local produce then they are usually happy to help.
Sometimes in the day when it was clear it was a bit hot and humid for us, we were there in April.
Enjoy!

Unique Qualities: People.
Snorkelling.
Cocoa - they make their own from their own trees. Samoan cocoa is meant to be the best in the world since it is less bitter than others. I had just cocoa and hot water - I avoid sugar which they usually add. It was wonderful.
Anyway the rest you can pick up from the other reviews.

Address: Sunset View Fales, Manono Island
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Other

• Written Jun 12, 2007

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Independant State of Samoa?