"Street of the Black Jews of Cochin" Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Things to Do Tip by cochinjew
Kochi Things to Do: 178 reviews and 421 photos
when you arrive at the Jew Street, if you take a right turn you would end up at the synagogue of the Paradesi Jews ( meaning foreigners in indian languages). This is of course the top tourist attraction in fort cochin and mattanchery. if you take a left turn you would come to the erstwhile quarters of the so called "Black Jews" of Cochin and their abandoned synagogue. The Black jews so called because of their darker skin colour, thorugh centuries of miscegenation in India, left en masse when the state of Israel was founded after praying for two thousand years for the return..la shanah ha ba ah yerushalayim..
Their descendants have done well in israel, one of them rising to the top position in the flower growers association and they are fully integrated into the Israeli Life and it is hard to think of them as form Hodu or India when you meet them.
I will write elsewhere about the history of the Black Jews of Cochin
More Things to Do in Kochi (23)
More Reviews (108)
- See All Good Place for a nice south Indian meal
- See All NOT A GOOD CHOICE
- See All Air Asia from KL to Cochin
- See All India is the most Pro Israeli country in...
- See All Good South Indian Food
- See All On the Internet the Place looks fabulous
- See All Princess Street the Tourist Ghetto
- Adivasi, the original inhabitants of...
- See All antique stores along the jew town road
Been to Kochi?Share your travels with the world!
cochinjew's Related Pages
Have you been to Kochi?Share Your Travels