VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

The Orangery: "Afternoon tea" The Orangery Tip by Dabs

The Orangery, London: 9 reviews and 6 photos

Inside the Orangery

Inside the Orangery
      The Orangery
    by Dabs

I always have afternoon tea on my list of things to do in London and somehow I always just don't find the time but since I had spent the day walking in Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens I figured it was a good opportunity to try one of the places I had seen recommended. Unfortunately everyone seems to know about their tea and there are no reservations accepted so the first time I passed by, right when they started tea at 3 pm, there was a sizable queue and I figured since they had just opened it would be awhile until they turned the tables so I did some more walking and came back around 5:30 pm, shortly before closing. There was still a queue but it went fairly quickly and I was seated at one of the indoor tables since none of the outdoor tables were free. The setting of the Orangery is lovely, it's in a long pavilion built in 1704 by Queen Anne I assume as an orangery.

Favorite Dish: A nice feature of the Orangery is that you can go a la carte or have full afternoon tea, since I was by myself, I passed on the full afternoon tea and ordered a lemon ginger tea (L1.50) and assortment of tea cakes. The tea cakes (L3.95) didn't really excite me but some of the other selections looked quite good and I think this would be a lovely place to have afternoon tea if I was traveling with someone else.

Address: Kensington Gardens
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Kensington Gardens near Kensington Palace
Phone: +44 20 3166 6113
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.hrp.org.uk/KensingtonPalace/CafesAndRestaurants.aspx

• Written Jun 10, 2007

Comments

Dabs Visits Here Frequently!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to London?