VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Quaglino's: "A bit over-rated" Top 5 Page for this destination Quaglino's Tip by toonsarah

Quaglino's, London: 1 reviews and 0 photos

Update April 2014: The three course champagne menu mentioned below is still available and is very good value at £25.50. Maybe I'll give this one another chance some time?

I went to this restaurant for the first time with a group of 8 friends a few years ago and have to say I had mixed feelings about it. The plusses? Good food, an eye-catching setting, and an excellent deal on the set menu (£22 for three courses with a glass of champagne). But on the minus side, the service was erratic (my pre-dinner G&T failed to materialise before the champagne was served, and the waiter looked put-out when I cancelled my order), the wine pushed the "bargain" prices up considerably, and that eye-catching space was cavernous (and therefore noisy) and was filled with the overpowering scent of lilies from the huge arrangement in the centre of the room. Personally I could also have done without the over-solicitous lady in the toilet who, when I went in simply to wash my hands, insisted on turning on the tap for me, pressing the soap plunger and handing over a (paper) towel, and then obviously expected a tip for her efforts.

As I said though, the food WAS good. I particularly liked the goats cheese and red pepper ravioli. On balance I would probably go again if the same sort of deal was available, but if you're paying their normal prices I think you could find plenty of other places with a more enticing atmosphere and just as good food.

Address: 16 Bury Street, SW1Y 6AJ
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Nearest tube stations are Green Park (Jubilee, Piccadilly & Victoria lines), or Piccadilly Circus (Bakerloo & Piccadilly lines)
Phone: 020 7930 6767
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 2
Theme: Italian
Website: http://www.quaglinos.co.uk/

• Updated Apr 19, 2014

Comments

toonsarah Lives Here!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to London?