"Marco Polo Airport vs. Treviso" Top 5 Page for this destination Airport - Marco Polo and Treviso Tip by Trekki

Airport - Marco Polo and Treviso, Venice: 107 reviews and 147 photos

Circling over the lagoon
    by Trekki
      Northern part of the lagoon, airport to theright
    by Trekki
      Northern part of the lagoon
    by Trekki

In general it might be the better option to book flights to Venice's closest airport Marco Polo (and not to Treviso, where the no frills airlines arrive and depart from).

Ok, I currently live in Germany and have long ago decided that I prefer Lufthansa over the no frills airlines because Lufthansa has very reasonable flight tickets to European destinations for prices around 100 Euro return flights. Provided one is flexible in the dates and also the time. These reasonable prices seem to be more likely during the non-business-flight hours, so between 10 in the morning until early afternoon. So a way for Lufthansa to fill up their planes with non business travellers.

I planned to stay in Venezia and not in Mestre anyhow. When I booked my ticket for May 2007 I paid 88 Euro for the roundtrip Frankfurt - Venice - Frankfurt. To this I had to add 6 Euro from my hometown to Frankfurt airport and 6 Euro for the Alilaguna boat to bring me from the airport to Fondamenta Nove, the closest stop to my B&B.
Of course the plane tickets are slightly more expensive, as are the buses and the boat in Venice. But nevertheless, compare prices to Marco Polo plus the boat transport with the flight tickets of Ryanair plus all the additional costs for Ryanair, plus the transport from Treviso airport to Venice (which is a minimum of 40 km away).

Marco Polo airport has the advantage of being located in the northern part of the lagoon. Flying into or out of this airport will give you prime views of Venice depending on the wind condicitions and the runway the planes depart from. I was so lucky on my flight back home to get this fabulous view of the city :-)

Current website for transport into Venice: Alilaguna

Ingrid D., July 2007 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.). Update June 2015: wording and links.

Address: Venice
Mode: TO
Type: Airplane
Website: http://www.veniceairport.it/en/

• Updated Jun 19, 2015

Comments

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Venice?