3rd Street Diner: "diner food with attitude" Top 5 Page for this destination 3rd Street Diner Tip by b1bob

3rd Street Diner, Richmond: 2 reviews and 5 photos

3rd Street Diner

3rd Street Diner
    by b1bob
      feta, tomato, pepper omelet w/ toast & hash browns
      inside the diner
    by b1bob

The Third Street Diner is a Richmond institution for almost 30 years. The ambiance is of a diner that picked up where a retail store had left off given the elevated metal ceilings. Mark and I came here at 10 a.m. to take a late breakfast before beginning our second day of touring Richmond. I had understood this was a 24-hour restaurant, but we found the doors locked. The owner made us wait five minutes, griping about how short-staffed she was. That may have been, but she should not have taken that out on the customers. That left a bad taste in our mouth right out of the chute. Also, at the end of the meal, the cheque did not reflect that they charged 75¢ for each flavour added to our omelet. That was no problem, but the lady rudely pointed out how printing out such details would cost her more in paper and ink. Mark was rightly worried that putting this on his expense account, some corporate bean counter would question the $6 discrepancy and the owner was short with Mark. Our service was quick and professional, but not overly attentive. The sad thing is, this could have been a good dining experience, but it goes to show how the attitude of the folks who work there can spoil a good time.

Favorite Dish: I had the omelet with feta cheese, tomatoes, and peppers which came with hash browns and white toast. The omelet was very good. The tomatoes and peppers went well with the feta cheese. I prefer my hash browns plain with the option to add a little salt and pepper at the table. These came with garlic, seasoned salt, and too much pepper. The toast and jelly were good except she put too much butter on the toast.

en español, em português

Address: 218 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23219
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: FROM I-95: Take exit 75 (I-64 E, Williamsburg, Norfolk) on right 0.2 mi (0.3 km); Take 3rd St (Coliseum, Downtown) ramp on right 0.1 mi (0.2 km); Continue onto N 3rd St 0.6 mi (1 km); Turn right onto VA-147 S (E Main St) 0.1 mi (0.2 km)
Phone: (804) 788-4750
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 3
Theme: Diner
Website: http://www.facebook.com/pages/3rd-Street-Diner/113101008728204

• Updated Sep 26, 2007

Comments

b1bob Visits Here Frequently!

b1bob

Have you been to Richmond?