The Black Cafe: "Dine in total darkness!" Shanghai Restaurant Tip by Superjetski

Shanghai Restaurants: 439 reviews and 749 photos

If you've not blind and would like to experience what it's like to eat as a blind, book a spot here. I know the concept is from a restaurant in France and there are several around the world, but if you've never been to either, I recommend The Black Cafe. It's a mindblowing experience!

Before you're led to the "dark room", you have to place your order, I went with two friends, so I made them order for me, I wanted everthing to be a surprise, see. Then after placing the orders, you place all your belongings (anything that can give out light, incl cell phone) in a locker before washing your hands. Once you're upstairs, outside the dark room, you'll be introduced to your waiter (who's blind). Then you, your friends form a human train behind the waiter as he leads you in. Your adventure begins there.

btw everyone who works there are soo polite

Favorite Dish: I had the duck, that was good,my friend had the lamb, that one's excellent too. I heard that the Beijing dark restaurant doesnt have very good food. But the Black Cafe has excellent food.

Eat with your hands to maximize the experience, it's the only time you can eat like a pig in public without anyone noticing.

Depending on what you order, it's about RMB200/person. Incl soup, salad,dessert and drink. Yes, it is a tad bit more pricey than other places in SH, but it's an unforgettable experience.

An advice: wear black. Please refrain from wearing your favorite dress or top, chances are you will spill/drip/drop something and the stain isn't going to be pretty.

Address: 65 Maoming Bei Lu (Maoming North Road)
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: (021)5228-6575
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Other

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Superjetski's Related Pages

Ranked Member

Have you been to Shanghai?