Vinny Vanucchi's "Little Italy": "Great Food, Bad Waitress" Top 5 Page for this destination Galena Restaurant Tip by deecat

Galena Restaurants: 14 reviews and 23 photos

Baked Seafood Dish

Baked Seafood Dish
      Baked Mostaccioli
      Garlic Bread
      House Salad
      The Room Where We ate at Vinny Vanucchi's

BE SURE TO SEE ALL PHOTOGRAPHS

While in Galena, Illinois, my friends Jill, Mickey, Marcia and I ate at Vinny Vanucchi's "Little Italy" on Main Street. We were told by the locals that this was the place to eat. It's always good to listen to the locals, as we found out.

This restaurant is an old world Italian neighborhood kind of place that is located up the cobblestones where Washington Street meets Main Street. There's an old fashioned deli and import store, which you walk through to get to the restaurant. The restaurant has lots of beautiful wood, a fireplace, imported artifacts and signs, and the tables are covered with checkered tablecloths. There is an outdoor Cappuccino Garden for warm summer days and evenings.

There are many house specialties and supposedly the Meat Lasagna is the best because it is an old recipe from Vinny's Nana Lu who is about 88 and lives on the northwest side of Chicago. A picture of her on Taylor street at age 16 hangs on the wall. Also Auntie Nancy's manicotti recipe is still used as well as Uncle Paulie's baked mostaccioli and Tortellini Carbonara.

The restaurant is open daily from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Favorite Dish: I made the reservations on-line for Saturday at 7:15 pm. We were seated immediately, and escorted to the top floor. I have to state up front that the food was out-of-this-world; however, our waitress was slow, rude, and not very efficient.

Mickey and I shared the famous Baked Mostaccioli, [5.50 to share], and Jill and Marcia shared a baked dish with seafood and pasta [5.50 to share]. The House Salad is served "family style" and is delicious. [See photo].

The garlic bread was quite a hit with the four of us. It was decadent. Jill and Marcia order wine, and I had a diet Coke, while Jill was satisfied with the Ice Water. [However, she had to keep asking for more water; the waitress never offered it].

At the end of this delicious meal, the waitress asked if we wanted coffee and dessert. Three of us wanted Cappuccino, if they had decaffinated. This waitress assured us that they did.
I can't believe that we thought she was truthful. [That night, I did not sleep at all!]

So, I have to give just a "Satisfied" rating, even though the food was top-notch

Address: 201 South Main Street, Galena, IL
Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: 815-777-8100 or 815-777-8100
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Italian

• Updated Sep 10, 2007

Comments

deecat

Have you been to Galena?