"Elephant Rock" Top 5 Page for this destination Elephant Rock Tip by atufft
Elephant Rock, Yosemite National Park: 1 reviews and 5 photos
All the rocks and precipices in Yosemite Valley are named. Elephant Rock is one of those that is often seen but not remarked upon by visitors, but in any other park this would be considered a monument of considerable interest. A great place to view this El Capitan type granite rock is from various turn-outs along the Big Oak Flat Entrance Road, which winds along the north side prior to descending to the Yosemite Valley floor. These photos were taken at the same turn-out where Cascade Falls may also be seen. Note the black granite face that is interrupted at the bottom corner by stark white and jagged rock. This several hundred ton part of Elephant Rock fell on highway 140 in 1971, closing it down for a short while. Also, note the great perspective on the Merced River as it snakes its way through the Yosemite Valley. Finally, this is also a good vista for admiring El Capitan and Half Dome together in the relatively remote distance landscape shot.
More Things to Do in Yosemite National Park (34)
More Reviews (28)
- See All Photographers Stumble Over Each Other
- See All Controlled Burning Program
- See All Great Collection of Photographic Prints
- See All Motel 6 for Twice the Price
- See All Residential Housing in Yosemite Valley
- Rock Climbing Opportunities
- See All Lodge Dining Under the Falls
- See All Don't Walk Through The Meadows...
- Bears in Yosemite
- See All Rock Slides on Hwy 140, El Portal...
- Potable water filter and mosquito...
Been to Yosemite National Park?Share your travels with the world!
atufft's Related Pages
Have you been to Yosemite National Park?Share Your Travels