"In the middle of A Sheep Field" Foss Vatnajokull Hotel Tip by no_seriously_Bill

Foss Vatnajokull Hotel, Höfn: 1 reviews and 0 photos

This hotel is located on an isolated plot surrounded on all sides by sheep fields. Although they say they are attached to the fishing town of Hofn, they are really about five miles down the main highway in the middle of nowhere. If you think you are going to walk to town, forget it. The highway has a storm gully on both sides and a very small shoulder. I took taxis to town which run over $10 each way. Otherwise, this a fine place if have a car, and a jumping point for tours up to the Vatnajokull glacier. I enjoyed the isolation of the place...but I've read some tourists who found it creepy. The panorama of mountains, glaciers and farmer's fields was a memorable experience.

Like many places in Iceland, you pay a lot for a run of the mill acomodations. My room did not have a T.V. (TV in Iceland stinks anyways) and the beds were very small and not terribly comfortable. However, the staff was very kind and allowed me liberal use of the only computer with Internet, which was located behind the bar!

Since getting to town was difficult for me I took most of my meals at the restaurant attached to the hotel. The food was quite good, although pricey. A three course dinner with no drinks cost me over $70! But I had lamb medallions that tasted like no other lamb I have ever eaten. In the late afternoon they have this "Viking" hour when thy serve shnapps and an old Icelandic speciality, putrified shark. Yes the shark has been putrified, or allowed to sit around rot for a few months. Somehow, it loses its toxicity. And it tastes like it sounds, horrible (like a decay itself). Icelanders only eat this after heavy inbibing and most Icelanders I know consider this stuff to be dreck. I washed mine down with Coca Cola, since I don't drink, and earned the admiration of the hotel staff.

Address: Lindarbakkar, Hornafjordur, Hofn, 781, Iceland
Directions: Right off Route 1, a few miles before Hofn, if you are coming form the direction of Reykjavik.
Phone: +354-478-2555
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.fosshotel.is/en/hotel/fosshotel_vatnajokull.html

• Updated Jun 2, 2007

“"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the World"”

Ranked Member