"Thunder Cave" Top 5 Page for this destination Lorne Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Lorne Things to Do: 35 reviews and 89 photos

Stairway to the viewing platform
by iandsmith

I remember 35 years ago I went into Thunder Cave with my son. It was one of life's most unbelieveable moments and I've never forgotten it but, life changes and, down here, so does the landscape.
Originally there was a land bridge between the two jutting cliffs but that collapsed some time in the pre-settlement past and, these days, there is a viewing platform at the bottom that discourages would-be adventurers from going into the cave.
When you see how you would access the cave from the view point it's easy to understand why they've done that. In a word it's "dangerous" and I should have spelt that with a capital "D".
Having said that, the time we went in there we got to experience how the cave got its name. Despite the fact that the swell was minimal at the time the roar inside the cave was simply awe-inspiring. It was hard to believe that such a relatively small movement of water could create such a racket.
It's in the process of erosion and, in time, will become a bridge itself and ultimately collapse just as the rest of the coast is doing.

Address: Loch Ard Gorge

• Written Jun 1, 2007

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Lorne?