"The nonsensitive traveller – a real danger :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Trekki

Venice Warnings and Dangers: 275 reviews and 311 photos

Woosh - and off you are in the canal
by Trekki

Very sensitive topic!!

Nearly 80% of us visitors are day-trippers, arriving in the morning and leaving in the evening. When I was walking through Venezia, looking here and there and also taking the vaporettos, I did see so many of nonsensitive travellers and have created a term for these, but I won't use it here anymore. I just call them nonsensitive travellers.

Who are they? They are visitors who believe that Venezia is a museum. A gigantic museum on water. They forget that this city is very old and is not a museum city. Venezia just was lucky that it was not much bombed during the world wars (that is what I read) and that the Venezianos love their home city, thus take care that it won’t be destroyed over the time. But then, how much do we add to destruction and chaos?

Nonsensitive travellers often block streets, entries and more, as if they cannot believe that other people actually want or need to walk from A to B and not want to do sightseeing. Several times I also thought that the nonsensitive travellers must have fallen from the sky onto the vaporetti because they seem not to realise that once a vaporetto approaches a yellow vaporetto stop it will stop there, let passengers get off and on the boat. Nonsensitive travellers were hanging over the rail, the one, the assistant has to open to let others get off and on, and looked at this poor assistant as if he would be an alien. I was often sure, they never understood why he wanted them move away from the rail.

Or narrow streets along the water. Sometimes I passed a large crowd of nonsensitive travellers standing there and loudly gesture. I was lucky that one of the gesturing hands didn't wipe me into the water.

© Ingrid D., July 2007 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.). Update June 2015: wording.

Review Helpfulness: 5 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jun 17, 2015

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Venice?