"Why this name - St. Sophia Cathedral?" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Favorite Tip by OlenaKyiv
Kiev General: 194 reviews and 269 photos
The cathedral's name comes from the Hagia Sophia cathedral in Constantinople. According to a less popular theory, its model was the 13-domed oaken Saint Sophia Cathedral in Novgorod, which Yaroslav I the Wise determined to imitate in stone as a sign of gratitude to the citizens of Novgorod who had helped him secure the Kievan throne in 1019.
More Reviews (59)
- See All Do Ukrainians eat ethnic cuisine?
- See All What you should notice in St. Sophia
- See All The best home-cooked food
- See All Babiy Yar - not only in Kiev
- See All Getting around by a taxi